Yesterday I asked my LocStars if they had any questions about their locs or locs in general. On Instagram, my first question was from @pinkkprincess04, and she asked, “What can I do about dryness?” This is definitely a common problem with natural hair but particularly with locs.
As you know locs are like sponges as they soak up the moisture which requires natural oils to moisturize. So I came up with a small list of tips to eliminate dryness in locs:
- Remove build up by detoxing your locs. A home remedy is using baking powder and apple cider vinegar (ACV), but you can come in and book detox here at NOLALocStar. Build-up can cause dryness.
- Stop using products that have silicones, sulfates, and mineral oil as they strip moisture and over dry your hair.
- Use rosewater as I stated previously or use Taliah Waajid’s Protective Mist Bodifer as a daily moisturizer. You can purchase rosewater at TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Whole Foods or Trader Joes. You can purchase Taliah Waajid products on their website, Target or Walmart.
- Cover your locs with a satin cover at night (or use a satin pillowcase) as most cotton pillowcases will dry out your hair. Not only does a satin cover protects your hair from lint and dirt, it keeps the moisture in.
- Finally, eat healthily and drink more water. Yes, it begins from within and what you put in your body. Your hair is an extension of your health.
As I always say, everyone’s locs are different and will need different things, but these are some tips I’ve learned over the years to reduce dryness with your locs.